Malaysia go down 1-4 to Pakistan in group match

By August 26, 2018 August 27th, 2018 Newsroom

Malaysia will have to wait for the last game against Oman to know their fate for a semi-final berth in the Asian Games hockey event.The Malaysians were beaten 1-4 by Pakistan in their fourth Group B encounter at the GBK Hockey Stadium.

The Pakistanis with the win top the group and have sealed their semi-final berth.

It was a convincing win by the Pakistanis, who capitalise on some defensive lapse by the Malaysians to get their goals.

National skipper Mohamad Sukri Abdul Mutalib said they failed to raise their game level and gave away some silly goals.

“It was a high tempo match and they played well. We had several chances that went missing. If our second goal had counted, then the game could have turned our way.

“Still nothing is out as we are still in the race for a semi-final berth. We just need to beat Oman next. We will review the videos to see where we went wrong and rectify the mistakes. We knew it would be a tough game and that Pakistan is playing very well.

“It does not matter whom we play in the semis as we have to meet them anyway,” he said.
Malaysia forced a penalty corner in the fourth minute, but Razie Rahim’s attempt was saved by keeper Imran Butt.

Although Malaysia were the early aggressors, it was Pakistan that opened the scoring from their first penalty corner in the sixth minute.

Mohamed Irfan sent a low drag flick which had goalkeeper S. Kumar beaten all the way.

In the 11th minute, the Malaysians successfully appealed for a video referral for a penalty corner after a quick counterattack.

Faiz Helmi Jali scored to make it 1-1 and the Malaysians began a series of attack along the left flank.
Pakistan wasted their second penalty corner in the 18th minute by Rashid Mahmood.

Malaysia nearly took the lead in the 19th minute. Meor Mohd Azuan Hassan’s deflected ball bounced off the upright post, but after a video referral, the goal was disallowed.

Kumar pulled off a brilliant save from the penalty corner attempt by Abu Bakar Mahmood in the 24th minute to keep the score level at halftime.

Two minutes into the second half the Pakistanis took the lead again. This time it was through a field goal by Ajaz Mohamed in the 37th minute.

Mubashar Ali added a third in the 42nd minute form a penalty corner attempt. The Pakistanis slowly started taking charge of the match.

In the 46th minute, Ajaz was again on target for his second goal.

Malaysia has one more game in the group with Oman on Tuesday while the Pakistanis will battle with Bangladesh.