Razie and Nabil on fire for KLHC

By February 8, 2017 February 11th, 2017 Newsroom

Kuala Lumpur (8 February, 2017): Drag-flick specialist Muhammad Razie Abdul Rahim and midfielder Nabil Fiqri Mohd Noor returned to the TNBMHL Premier League to lead Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club to a 9-1 win over Universiti Teknologi MARA-KPT at the Tun Razak Stadium today.

Both Razie and Nabil recently graduated as Police Inspectors and today’s match was their first of the season. Razie scored two goals (9th, 44th minutes) as did Mohd Syamim Yusof (11th, 57th) and Anton Poul Fritz Ebeling (39th, 60th) whilst Muhammad Haziq Samsul (24th), Muhammad Umar Bhutta (41st) and Nabil Fiqri contributed the other goals for KLHC.

Muhd Shahfirul Aqmal Saiful replied for UiTM-KPT in the sixth minute. It was UiTM-KPT’s eighth defeat in the tournament from nine matches.

High-riding Terengganu Hockey Team (THT) and Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) were stopped in their tracks respectively by Tenaga Nasional Berhad and TNB Thunderbolts. THT was held to a 1-1 by TNB at the Kuala Lumpur Hockey Stadium after Muhammad Firhan Ashari gave the visitors a 10th minute lead but Muhammad Ramadan Rosli equalised for TNB in the 49th minute via a penalty corner.

THT and KLHC share 23-equal points after nine matches but double champions THT lead the stable standings on a superior goal difference with UniKL placed third (19 points) followed by TNB (15), Maybank (10) and TNB Thunderbolts (10). UiTM-KPT and SSTMI have one point each.

“We had many chances to win this game but credit to TNB for playing an exceptionally good game today, especially goalkeeper Kumar who saved many shots at goal,” said THT head coach Sarjit Singh, reflecting on the 6-1 first round win against TNB at the Batu Buruk Hockey Stadium in Kuala Terengganu last week.

“Faizal (Saari) is recovering from injury but this has not hampered the performance of the team as there are enough talents in the side to take on the challenges. We hope he recovers in time as he is an asset to THT.” added Sarjit.

In Bandar Penawar, Universiti Kuala Lumpur and Thunderbolts played to a scoreless draw whilst Maybank secured a 3-1 victory over Tunku Mahkota Ismail Sports School. It was the second time that Thunderbolts had turned the table on the big boys of the league following a 7-3 win over Maybank earlier.

“We were too casual in the game and nearly paid the price. It is two points lost rather than one gained and we need to buck up. We had four penalty corners but failed to make them count,” said UniKL head coach Arul Selvaraj, adding that team captain Marhan Jalil travelled to Johor but did not play as he was still weak following a bout of fever.

SSTMI took a 1-0 lead against Maybank through Mohd Shahrin Izzudin’s field goal in the 31st minute but Maybank upped the ante with two goals from Hafifihafiz Hanafi (45th and 48th minutes) and Korean Nam Hyun Woo added the third in the 51st minute from penalty corner.

Results – Terengganu Hockey Team 1 Tenaga Nasional Berhad 1; Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club 9 UiTM-KPT 1; Universiti Kuala Lumpur 0 TNB Thunderbolts 0; Tunku Mahkota Ismail Sports School 1 Maybank 3.

Friday (10 February, 2017): UiTM-KPT v Terengganu Hockey Team (Stadium Tun Razak, 6.0pm); TNB Thunderbolts v Tenaga Nasional Berhad (SSTMI, 5.0pm); SSTMI v Universiti Kuala Lumpur (SSTMI, 7.0pm); Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club v Maybank (KLHA Stadium, 6.0pm).